When it comes to making investments, people want to feel confident in their returns. While we are not investment bankers, we are confident that landscaping is one of the best investments you can make for your home. If you have a landscape that is old, overgrown, or sparse, investing in landscape renovation and maintenance will increase the value of your home, reduce the risk of unwanted pests and critters, and make your property more visually appealing to guests, tenants, and potential buyers. Conversely, if your landscape is a blank canvas because you’ve recently constructed a new home, now is a wonderful time to add texture and seasonal color to your property to help enhance the look and feel of your new home while benefiting from a whole list of additional pros!
With spring right around the corner, this is a great time to start thinking about your landscaping wants and needs, whether that is a minor renovation, a complete overhaul, or a brand new landscape plan! Let’s take a closer look at some of the additional benefits of investing in the landscape around your home:
- Increased home value: Landscaping is a great investment and can increase market value of your home. John Harris, landscape economist, states that good landscaping can add up to 28% overall home value; furthermore, a study done by Clemson University indicated that just improving your landscape from “good” to “excellent” in terms of design, condition, and placement can add 6% to 7% to a home’s value.
- Improved curb appeal: Landscaping helps to enhance curb appeal. It can make your home look more inviting to guests and it can help your home sell if it’s on the market. Landscape curb appeal makes a great first impression and makes your home stand out from the others in your neighborhood.
- Increased savings and reduced energy bills: Landscaping with the right plants can help to save on heating and cooling costs for your home. Depending on the variety planted, trees can help shade your home during the summer months and create wind breaks during the winter months. This will further reduce your energy bills and increase your savings!
- Improved outdoor living spaces: Landscaping creates a more appealing living atmosphere by using different styles, colors, and textures that you can enjoy from both inside and outside of your home. Create a place to entertain with an outdoor kitchen and fire pit or a place to relax with a cozy patio placed within a private landscape setting.
- Reduced noise and improved privacy: Landscaping can reduce the level of noise around your property, especially if you’re located around a high traffic street or highway; furthermore, depending on the variety, different plantings can help to block unpleasant views and can be used to create a screen for a more private setting.
Investing in the landscaping for your home comes back as a return in many positive forms, including the satisfaction of enjoying the creation of new outdoor living spaces. Landscapes come in many different shapes and sizes – they can be imagined, inspired, and created by a number of various styles, plants, colors, textures, and features. There’s no project too big or too small for Topeka Landscape. Contact us today at 785.232.8873 or email us and let one of our landscape designers help you create the right landscape investment for your home!